Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Killin Time at School Just Like the Old Days

I am teaching every tuesday this month until 4:30. However, the school requires that I stick around until 7, hence the post. Once I plan my classes for the next day I am mentally checked out.

Today the foreign teachers (I am the only one without a Korean citizenship, although two other teachers with dual citizenship are considered "foreign teachers") had to go watch the rehersal for the big Kindergarten talent show happening on Christmas Eve. They do a routine to "Jingle Bell Rock," they have a psuedo musical play based on "A Christmas Carol," and for whatever reason they sing "Summer Lovin'" among other acts. "Summer Lovin'" is probably my favorite part because I really can't get over adorable Korean Kindergarteners singing lines like "she got friendly down in the sand" and I giggle the whole time. Who's the 5 year old now?

I think I really got lucky with the school I ended up at. I hear other foreign teachers complaining about things like not getting paid on time, not getting paid enough, not enough vacation time, and having Director's that generally don't give a crap about them. My Director offered to pay me part of my first paycheck early (I don't get paid until January 10th) so I have money to go on a trip during the loooong vacation. I get a week off, most teachers only get a couple days and some even have to work on Christmas! I've been taken out to nice dinners on the school's dime which has also been a blast.

Now for the people worrying about shootings and whatnot: we are barely aware that is happening. No one is afraid, it's a threat Koreans have been dealing with most of their lives and they don't seem to take it too seriously. It hasn't happened anywhere near where I am. Also, I am registered with the US Embassy in Korea so if there is some kind of emergency I will be taken care of and evacuated. But really, I'm not worried at all and you shouldn't be either. People are still eating and partying and might mention a shooting as if it's happening in Saudi Arabia; with no trace of surprise or panic.

I got to the post office today and sent some X-Mas presents my families way! Nothing big, but I was told my package would get there on Christmas Eve so don't open it until Christmas! Love you Joneses!

No comments:

Post a Comment