Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Teaching Teething

Today was the first time I taught although I wasn't alone as Ross, the teacher I am replacing, came with me.   Kindergarden was simple enough. They read a story, play games and write a little. That's about it. They are adorable. I've decided to bring in my stereo and Ipod some days for background in the classes. They'd love the Disney music and I could always play some mellow classical as background noise during arts and crafts activities and whatnot.

Elementary classes are different. I only got to do one, but I struggled. They go through the work so fast you have to keep thinking of game after game incorporating the material they already freaking know. I ran out of ideas and was stumbling along and just said to Ross, "dude I have no idea what to do now." He saved me with card games but it was a bit scary there. I need to learn more games.

Lesson planning is the part I get most frustrated with. You need to communicate a lot with the Korean co-teacher and that's really difficult since they're on a completely different schedule. Also they're always changing the plan they do, which means you have to change your plan. It's never predictable, they use different or no syllabi, and the head teacher seems to be getting annoyed I'm not catching on. Which is ridiculous, because it'll take me probably at least another week to get the hang of it. She can't expect me to have no teaching experience and so little communication with the co-teachers and get it right away. I'm sure it'll be fine on week three but right now it's difficult. But then I always said anything worth doing is difficult, so I'm doing it and I'm going all the way! I want to be a good teacher, I really do.

Tonight is my first night not going out, other than the first night I got here. These people party hard. The whole foreign teacher group is a lot like college- it's a small community all working the same job with the same complaints and we're all about the same age.

Now I will relax and try to take it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment